Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Beatrix, Société Céramique

The four entries for Teacup Tuesday so far have not quite met the conditions of this gathering: showing off one's wonderful antique teacups. Although I still have a few antiques to share, it is the spirit of the moment that makes me wanting to show what is an activity on my side and that is this 72 year old teacup plate.

*BLUE*, flowers and nature are an eternal source of inspiration, which can be seen on many a tea and dinner service.


In the last posts on my blog I showed the wonders of Dutch water land close to my home, today something that is very dear to me appears on my blue scene. It is a chipped teacup saucer of a tea and dinner service that was designed in 1938 on the occasion of the birth of our present Queen Beatrix.
Beatrix, Société Céramique, with a stray flower design, in blue, red, black and black with a gold rim,was mass produced earthenware and a best seller. Today the interest on the antique market has diminished somewhat. There are quite a few pieces for sale on the internet at reasonable prices, but the teacups are rarely on offer. When I come across it in antique shops I exclaim ‘How truly cute and lovely this is’. Apart from the blue flower design I appreciate the model just as much.



As to the designers of the Société Céramique very little is known, Royal Sphinx have let me know. So who the designer was of Beatrix remains a question mark. If there is anyone who knows the answer, please let me know.
Of at least one artist is known that he traded his talents as a decor designer and a model maker to keep up a family, but he is not related to Beatrix.



The Société Céramique(1863-1958) started in Maastricht and at that time produced every day use earthenware. It originated from Clermont en Chainaye, which in 1859 was taken over by Guillaume Lambert. He continued the business as Société pour la fabrication des faiences en produits céramiques de toute espèce sous la raison sociale Guillaume Lambert & Cie; shortened in 1863 as Société Céramique. In 1958 it merged with Royal Sphinx. The Société Céramique was a booming business and highly competitive with what happened in England and France.


The above picture of a sugar bowl is from: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/Societe-Ceramique-Maestricht/510154529

I love dinner services; there is nothing more inviting than a beautifully decorated table. Sometimes just the last left over piece of such a service is a *TREASURE*. This plate is a true treasure to me, as it is a link to days gone by within my family (it belonged to one of my grandmothers), a link to a well used dinner service, but also reflects Dutch history, Delft blue (which this is not) and Dutch national costumes. Polka dots and flowers are often used in the material designs of those. Its royal blue colour is very attractive.





The Beatrix plate arrives on our breakfast table everyday, together with other magnificent pieces of craftmanship. It is a bright and cheerful start of the day to use it. Wild flowers from our garden combined with the final stage of a huge bunch of purple gladiolas put in a Delft blue jug accompanied it all on last Sunday morning. I hope you will enjoy my ‘Dutch Blues’ and I will certainly enjoy your posts on Teacup Tuesday! And who knows, maybe you will find a Beatrix somewhere out there when you go hunting on an antique spree?! At least you know the history behind the design.







Queen Beatrix, visiting te village of Vries.
She is an intelligent, hardworking and very creative Queen - she makes beautiful sculptures. On this occasion she wears a blue floral dress.
Source: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Koningin_Beatrix_in_Vries.jpg

14 comments:

  1. What fabulously pretty blue and white china and tea ware!

    ~ I especially have enjoyed your photography of all of these beautiful dishes; just lovely! any pictures that are to do with Tea Time delight me!..,The queen's lovely countenanceis the 'icing on the cake', so to speak, with her regal presence!~ Long live Gueen Beatrix!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    I also want to most warmly invite you to partake with and visit our little corner of 'Tuesday And Wednesday Teatime In Blogland'.

    Please do feel most welcome to visit our little shared meme that I am delighted to share with my dear friend Pam @ http://breathoffresh
    air-paperbutterfly.blogspot.com

    ..,and also my little bit @ http://silkenpurse.blogspot.com for our 14th, 'Teapots And Tea Things Tuesday'!..,(This week's theme is cherry desserts~yum)!

    ~There is also my 42nd, 'Tuesday Tea For Two' blog tea party and the 33rd, 'Wednesday Tea For Me and Thee' to be held @ http://theplumedpen.blogspot.com

    We would simply love to have you join in the teatime fun!.., I say; the more tea parties in blogland, the better!

    Have a marvelous week dear lady!

    Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your blue and whites this morning! It is going towards a hundred degrees here and the blue and whites always make me feel cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, informative, beautiful post. A tribute of sorts to your Queen Beatrix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a sweet blog! Love your blues and love the Queen...she looks so sweet and genuine..like you could sit right down next to her and get to know her comfortably. So nice to meet you!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post and a beautiful Queen. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post!!

    There is just something that is so elegant about blue and white and that goes for your Queen too!
    She is one classy lady!!

    Thanks so much for sharing with us today!!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jacoba
    I always have loved that Blue Ceramic from Netherland,so your post has been really interesting for me today
    Your tea cup plate is a pretty treasure ,I love it.
    Blue has been present in my blog during all Julay ,all my posts had a relation with this color...the Sky, the Sea...so your post today has remembered mine...Blue cramic ,blue flowers ,your Queen wearing in blue...
    Lovely!
    Meeting you again has been a pleasure
    Have we a cup of tea?
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi: I just love your tea blues. So pretty. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your blue and white china is beautiful and thank you for adding a little history.

    I enjoyed seeing the lovely photo of your Queen Beatrix.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blue and white china my friend! Yum! Loved learned more of their history!

    Thank you for visiting me yesterday and your comments on the hydrangeas. I do believe you are correct in what you said to do. I did some internet surfing and your tip was the very one that is suggested the most.

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful post. The pattern is wonderful and you photographed the vignette so well. Professionally.
    Grateful you came to share tea with the ladies and to share your lovely setting and the history of it.
    You are always welcome for tea.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prachtig de serviesjes en vooral waar de bloemetjes in staan,lieve groet Joke.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leer el mundo blog, bastante bueno

    ReplyDelete
  14. 甜的网站,我还没有碰到你以前在我的博客搜索!进行神奇的工作!

    ReplyDelete

Gezellig dat je er bent, dank je voor je bericht.
Thank you for your visit, nice that you stopped by in the gardens.