Sunday, 24 February 2013

Grey skies, twelve hours daylight, and snow again

Gulls are swarming by, by the window, fighting over the old bread that was thrown out for the birds this morning at the kitchen door. Inside the dog jumps up and barks because he finds they are intruding his peace and quiet, and his territory. It is a beautiful sight - the gulls and the dog.
 
Dogs days of winter, the snow has returned. Northeasternly wind, which makes it bitterly cold. Time for indoor activities. For the very first time in my life I made pea soup this morning. The kitchen is in a mess. My food processor gave up. Although I thought I was making 2 litres of soup, I had to move it to a pan for 5 litres of soup. Once it was all done it went back to a pan for 3 litres, pushing it through a seive and the left overs in a small magimix. Splashes of soup and kitchen utensils all over the place. It will not be soon that I will do this again, how tidious. It is easier to buy it ready made, although I must admit: it tastes good!
 
Twigs I gathered along my riverwalk last week are waiting on the g,arden table, together with a huge bunch of what came off the top of one of the trees, to be made up into an Easter arrangement, similar to the one I saw at the floral shop in 's Hertogenbosch the other day.
 
I guess this afternoon. after my walk in the snow with the dog. I shall have a go at my knitting: a spring jacket that needs to be finished. Difficult because I shall have a go at circular needles which I have never learnt how to use. Any teacher out there to help me out?
 
 

 
 
The heart shaped oil lamp was a gift last year from my creative neighbour girl friends. It waits for better times and outdoor life in the garden. There is the promiss of spring though, the thick buds of the purple rhododendron, the colour of so many early spring flowers. 

  
 
  
The elm trees have lost there twigs on Monday, they look like dancers, like candalabers in a way, an Indian god with so many arms. Very forceful trees, in the summer they will be one huge 'hedge on legs' and form a very secluded garden.
On Monday we could sit out and have coffee in the sun. Well, not today - off to my knitting and a bit of home made pea soup. Don't you think it looks more like porridge?



 
On posting this I realized there is a very old cookbook around the house, possibly my greatgrandmother's? A hundred years old definitely, with very old Dutch spelling, falling apart and no front or back cover to it, well used. The Dutch alone is amusing as such, but so is the recipe. When I have a moment I shall make a less foggy picture and will give a translation. So, do come back!
 

9 comments:

  1. Lieve Jacoba,

    Wat mooie is jouw tuin met de sneeuw! Ik vind het heel leuk de cadeautje van jouw vrienden - de hart lamp.
    Hier, waar ik woon, is sneeuw alweer ook.
    Je bent gelijk - het is de tijd voor binnen activiteiten.
    Veel plezier and geniet ervan!
    Kusjes,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, cute! I love ancient books. I will come tomorrow with more time to read the recipe in Old Dutch. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It just snowed here too. Your homemade soup looks delicious. How fascinating to find your great grandmother's book! Have you tried the recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. more snow??!! i like the heart shaped oil lamp. i love split pea soup -- one of my favorites, but this time of year -- any soup is a favorite! i can't help with the knitting. i'm a crochet girl -- mostly. hpw wonderful to have the cookbook -- a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful old recipe! Enjoy your evening! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Een prachtig snert recept, wat leuk dat je dit kookboek hebt. Je brouwsel ziet er smakelijk uit, lekker dik zoals het hoort.
    De sneeuw van afgelopen zondag viel me echt tegen, maar als ik zo jouw foto's zie was het toch weer om van te genieten. Helaas kan ik je geen brei advies geven, als je dat rondbreien onder de knie hebt kun je met recht zeggen;,,ik brei me een slag in de rondte,,

    Een gezellige dag morgen,
    Hermine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ja, ook ik was echt onaangenaam verrast door weer zo'n dik pak sneeuw. Inmiddels is het meeste weg en ligt hier in de tuin hier en daar nog wat. Vandaag voor het eerst bolletjes gekocht voor in huis, want nu moet het er maar eens van komen, hoor.
    Ik heb zin in de lente en ga, in tegenstelling tot jouw snert, verse tomatensoep met lenteuitjesbrood maken!
    Liefs,
    Janny

    ReplyDelete
  8. A cold winter I heard it is going to freeze again. Keep warm and enjoy some more peasoup. Groetjes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jaboba,
    i haven't visited in a little while and was so glad to read your post. hope you are now enjoying warmer temperatures. we have had lots of rain this winter and i'm getting quite tired of it. actually it is raining again as i'm typing my comment. feel sorry for my dog as she does not like to walk in the rain (but who does after all?). your soup looks delicious and i bet it was worth all the trouble of having to clean your whole kitchen afterward.
    hugs
    rita

    ReplyDelete

Gezellig dat je er bent, dank je voor je bericht.
Thank you for your visit, nice that you stopped by in the gardens.