Friday, 10 August 2012

Statesyacht 'de Utrecht'

In my previous post I told you architecture is one of my passions. Well, yesterday on an architectural site visit I bumped into one of my other passions: the statesyacht 'de Utrecht'. I am just besotted by this yacht.
It sails very quietly and I jumped up all excited seeing it. Of course it goes by quickly. Luckily we came and went from the site by boat, so I could take many pictures.

As from the start of the building of the yacht I was fascinated by it. It is an authentic replica made from drawings from 1746. If it had not been so that I had a full time job at the time I would have applied for an apprenticeship as a woodcarver or whatever to work on this yacht.

There is a lot to tell about the yacht, but in my enthousiasm I rather want to share some of my yesterday's pictures with you.
Also, the weather is too beautiful today to sit inside behind a computer. We will go on a boating trip today. Summer is so short and so far it has been a lousy summer all in all.











Would not you be all surprised seeing this going by your garden along the river?
Is the lion at the front not cute? Is Neptune (I presume it is Neptune) not incredibly bored hanging on the aft side? Don't you like this huge sail in 'oranje blanje bleu', orange white blue. Is it not incredibly Dutch to see this yacht passing by a windmill?
And which is more: is it not an incredible contrast, being moored off opposite Michael Grave's interpretation of a Dutch modern house?

If you want to read more about the yacht, just google 'statenjacht de utrecht' or click here.
Unfortunately it is in Dutch, but the pictures speak for themselves.

We have not sailed on the yacht as yet, as the trips are always fully booked.
It would be wonderful to see the interior as well.
It remains on my 'to do list' and on my 'wish list'!

Enjoy my pictures (and maybe also my enthousiasm?!)


5 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your pictures and enthusiasm! The carvings are magnificent! When we lived in Galveston, Mr. Dragon always wanted to volunteer on the Tall Ship Elissa. While the Elissa is a beautiful ship, it is nothing like *your* yacht. Magnificent and fun to see next to the Grave's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful yacht! My sweetie and I are heading to Amsterdam Sept 2013 as we have arranged a house exchange with a couple. We can't wait to explore the area and during the month we are planning on retracing Kirk's Fathers travels while he was there in WWII. Have a great weekend!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jacoba! What a glorious things to see on the water! It's beautiful! I hope you get to sail on her soon.

    It's been ages since I've popped in and I just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts. I hope your summer has been marvelous. Have you been watching the Olympics? It's been horribly hot here, but a normal hot for our part of the USA. Well, I am off to go catch up on more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terwijl ik je post las zag ik de ,,Utrecht,, door de brug komen. Snel naar het terras en vanavond ga ik eens kijken wat er van mijn foto's terecht is gekomen. Het is een schitterend gezicht om dit schip langs te zien varen. De mensen die erop staan kijken ook net of het HUN schip is.
    Geniet van het water en een lieve groet.

    Hermine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allemachtig, wat is tie prachtig! daar wil ik wel een bezoekje voor afleggen in Hellevoetsluis, geweldige tip, je ziet de foto,s vast wel op mijn blog.

    ReplyDelete

Gezellig dat je er bent, dank je voor je bericht.
Thank you for your visit, nice that you stopped by in the gardens.