Monday, 13 August 2012

'Old wood'

'Oh yes, old wood .....'
A cool remark by young guys on the statesyacht 'de Utrecht' appearing in the distance, its bow turning around the corner.
Old wood it is for sure. 300m3 of 200 years old beech wood were used to build the ship. Grown in Denmark from Dutch acorns.

We have a few spectacular flat bottom ships floating around, but this one so appeals to me that I made sure I was at a high bridge early not to miss it and to take a few more pictures. In my enthousiasm informing everyone (stopping to have a look at the river) something very special would be passing by soon.

In the mean time I have googled the interior, but something that really puzzles me is how it is steered by. A steerwheel could not be seen on the outside, nor on the pictures of the interior on internet.
On a river walk afterwards I discussed it with a ship builder who was moored off with his (also fantastic) own made steel ship. It could be many ways he explained, for instance by a joy stick. A joy stick! A replica of 1746 steered by a joy stick! Well, modern comforts!
I saw the captain in his white t-shirt (with sails at the back of it) on deck once the yacht was through the bridge - the admiral yacht maybe on 'automatic'?!

Below a few more pictures to share with you.








5 comments:

  1. That is weird about not being able to see the wheel on the outside. I wonder what's up!!!!

    LOVE YOUR PHOTOS. I've never been sailing and I hope someday to go. What fun!

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jacoba
    Thank you for share your pretty photographs
    Sailing must be very exciting
    The ship is beautiful!
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dearest,
    thank you for your visit. it's good to have you back.
    Your photos are beautiful and fully do justice to de Utrecht. What a charming ship!
    Hope you have been enjoying a pleasant Summer. Ours has been awfully hot! So glad we had a rain storm today.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jacoba,

    How fabulous. I love tall ships and the sea-farers ways.., We live near the ocean and we see the majestic tall ships of sail quite frequently. They are magnificent. Good for you!

    Thanks for your kind words and visits to both of my blogs, Glad you enjoyed the jewelry post; and the other posts as well. (I'll have to check out the number 117 to see youe picture)..,

    I think that you advice is excellent. re. Pam. I am putting my blogs behind a firewall so to speak for awhile , although I would rather not for several reasons. When I decide what to do, I'll re-open them.., I'll continue to blog for the fun, joy and creatively therapeutic reasons meanwhile.

    Pam has been one of my dearest friends for over 26 years, so her understandable, yet still somewhat confusing behavior is hard. especially since she told me in our lengthy , yet infrequent phone calls.

    Cheers WL

    ReplyDelete

Gezellig dat je er bent, dank je voor je bericht.
Thank you for your visit, nice that you stopped by in the gardens.