Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Seafaring in the blood

One more time, the statesyacht 'de Utrecht'. Who knows you will be jumping on board one day?

On my question in my previous post the society that runs 'de Utrecht' has very kindly explained to me how 'de Utrecht' is being steered. They have shared some wonderful pictures and information with me which I am allowed to publish on here.

The yacht is being steered by a helm, which you can see just opposite the top cabin. There is something special though, the rudder is extra big to be able to manoeuvre it in inward waterways, holding cables so that the rudder does not move out too far. But my oh my, there is this all modern equipped panel hidden in the woodpanel. Very smart! And a smart captain, too. Some guys end up on these once in a lifetime jobs, I envy him. Would not you fancy to steer such a wonderful yacht? Maybe I should queue up and wait in line to success him?! Ha ha, that is a joke, I am not that courageous.



On this picture you can see by the red line how the pushing of the helm to the left and right is transported to the rudder, just going underneath the top cabin.
Do have a look at the link to the book that appeared in English, The Statenyacht de Utrecht. When you scroll down it shows some very nice pictures of how it all started. You see for instance how that funny, cute and yet frightening lion at the front started.
Of course the book was originally in Dutch, click here to see it.

And here she is in full sail, really magnificent.


Seafaring is in my blood. You cannot deny what is in the genes. It explains my jumping up and down on the bridge when I saw 'de Utrecht' appear on the horizon. On my mother's side there were a lot of seafarers. As far as we can look back my great great grandfather owned his own trading ship. My grandmother surrounded herself with pieces of art representing the environment where she grew up (West Brabant). A few of those were handed down to me. Anything nautical is so inspiring to artists.

Here they are.
A large Villeroy and Boch ceramic plate (more than a 100 years old), a drawing of flat bottoms and a wood carving.





When you look closely at this picture you will be just amazed as I am on the steady hand that carved this.

A wonderful sunshiny day ahead, I will be sailing. But no more 'de Utrecht' surprising me in these waters. She is off to Hellevoetsluis and will be on show in the harbour as part of the festivities going on there. She will be sailing on the Haringvliet. Maybe you could jump on board and experience it all? Don't forget to have a look here - http://www.statenjacht.nl



15 comments:

  1. Pracht van een jacht....zou daar wel eens n tochtje mee willen maken..

    Ik zag dat je bij mij op bezoek was..wat bedoel je precies met de ROBOT...en wat geeft die voor problemen..iets wat ik kan verhelpen..?

    Heb de draad weer opgepakt...manlief weer naar zijn orkest..en ik druk met huis en kids en de tuin...en bloggen natuurlijk!

    groetjes

    MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha...snap t.....heb het nu uitgezet...wist niet dat dat zoveel problemen kon geven..Lekker weertje he...mooie tuin avond straks...:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je bent helemaal in de ban van de ,,UTRECHT,, Jacoba en daar moet ik zo om lachen, het is ook een spektakel om hem te zien varen.
    Ik ben ook in de ban maar dan van die kapitein, wat een stoer dropje ;))Zie ik een Boeddha beeldje staan op het schakelpaneel?
    Lieve groet
    Hermine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leuk Jacoba om over de Utrecht zoveel te lezen en te bekijken.
    Fijn dat je er weer bent !
    Heb je een mailtje gestuurd.
    Mooi al die foto's van je tuin in de rechterkolom.
    Liefs en een zonnige vootzetting van de week.
    Mapi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous boat! I hope you enjoyed your sail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wauw...wat een pracht van een boot.
    Nou stam ik niet van enige zeevaarders af, ook al kom ik bijna uit West-Brabant, maar die oude boten...die doen me wel wat.
    Leuk dat je op mijn Lingerie-blog een link gegeven hebt...ik heb niet gewacht op een regenachtige dag, en gelijk gaan kijken.
    Ja...prachtig,heb er gelijk een foto afgehaald voor op mijn Pinterst... ik heb Pinterest dus ook al ontdekt..dat is echt een Walhalla voor je ogen en hersenen, ik mag wel 500 worden eer ik alles gedaan en gemaakt heb wat je daar aan inspiratie tegenkomt.
    Of gewoon al die mooie plaatjes, en inspiratie..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The boat is gorgeous. I love the look of boats and the sea but I don't have your seafaring genes. I get seasick very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prachtig, de Utrecht, en wat een mooie kleuren blauw op het dek, bij de stoere kaptein, die iemand hierboven een 'dropje' noemt ;-).
    Ik zou er graag op meevaren.... droom.....
    Voorlopig houd ik het even op vate wal onder de voet. In Stockholm.
    Groeten,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my-- such a gorgeous boat! I'd be jumping up and down just at the opportunity to take photos of that beautiful ship!! It's a great story- a great legacy-- I love your Mother's collections as well.

    Thanks for the beading tip--- why didn't I think of that!!
    Xo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. een heerlijk blogje nederlandse nostalgie Varen kan zo romantisch zijn Mooie prenten heb je geplaatst die spreken me wel aan
    Groetjes jacky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hallo..leuk dat je even langs kwam On The Hilltop..nice optrekje he..:)))..Fijn weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for stoppin by my dear friend.
    Hope all is well with you. We are now enjoying a most pleasant Indian Summer and would really love it if it went on like this until the end of October. On the other hand we need rain very badly so got to be prepared.
    wishing you a great weekend myu dear.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh,I forgot to say that you have such precious heirloom you have there.
    I love the V&B plate. it is so beautiful and the decor is sublime.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hoihoi>>>nee,nog geen sneeuw hier..dus maak ik t gewoon zelf..prachtige tijd van het jaar is dit..fijne dag,geniet van alles wat komt..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Jacoba,
    it's been a long time since your last post and hope everything is fine with you. I've missed you!
    I want to wish you and your loved ones a very merry Christmas filled with peace and love.
    take good care my friend
    rita

    ReplyDelete

Gezellig dat je er bent, dank je voor je bericht.
Thank you for your visit, nice that you stopped by in the gardens.