It seemed such a good idea to buy a Campsis Radicans and plant it next to the wood shed.
In time it would nicely grow over the roof of it and we would enjoy its beautiful flowers was the idea. It feels happy where it is planted. Too happy, in fact. And instead of growing over the roof (which of course I try to guide) it makes long shoots towards the West and tries to curl around the chimney of our heating system and everywhere where it should not go.
So, there was no choice. I had to climb the roof of the adjacent building and cut it back drastically, blooms and all.
The flowers bring back memories of a holiday I spent with my parents in Switzerland and Italy in my teens. We sat out on a tiny terrace of a restaurant on a rock in Cannobio at the Lago Maggiore. The view on the lake was beautiful, the apricot juice the waiter in formal black and white brought me was in a minute bottle, and the flowers of the Campsis so abundant around us. I loved the trumpets, the colour, it looked so exotic.
The tranquility of the lake, the small sips from the concentrated apricot juice, they are such nice recollections of that holiday. Amazing how certain situations you can recall like yesterday.
The cuttings I put up in a vase in the garden, but the flowers are not meant to shine in a vase. They should trumpet from the roof! And I just have to be aware of its abundant enthousiasm to grow all over the place.
Dear Jacoba
ReplyDeletePlants usually grow where they want and not where we want…
I know that climbing plant,I had one of them in my garden some years ago
Your memories are very pretty and it´s true that some times we can revive some moments so intensely!!!
Meeting you is always a pleasue
Love
Such a beautiful plant...too bad it won't do as it is told. ; )
ReplyDeleteWhat a great memory of your trip with your parents... treasure it!