![]() |
| Quilt made from red-white-blue farmers handkerchiefs, on show in the garden of Quiltatelier Vlijtig Liesje |
Late in June all
of a sudden this heart shaped yellow leaf of the elm trees dropped silently on the lawn. With a frown I
watched this, as to me this is always the first sign that the garden is taking a
turn, summer being over its top. Plenty of those leaves are on the lawn now, everything
is changing colour in the garden. Beechnuts are plentiful all over the place, the pear trees heavy with fruit. There is a lot to be done in the
garden still and hopefully we will enjoy a few more nice weeks. In August I usually get the itch to start clearing out wardrobes,
kitchen shelves, to give the garage a good shake and clear out, because it has
become a mess over summer with the outdoor living. It indicates it is soon time for cocooning and indoor activities.
Unfinished projects will be picked up, new ones started, as the work in the garden comes to a stop and the boat will be on the dry.
Today I visited the ‘Open House’ of Hanneke Kwakkenbos, a shop and quilt course place, called Quiltatelier Vlijtig Liesje.
For
weeks on end the weather has been great, but today the rain came down. The
horses nearby grouped together and were not sure whether they would grant me a
look or not, the smaller ponies certainly did not, being persistent in standing still and holding their heads together. The black one did turn his head though when I made funny noises at them.
On my very first visit last year to this Quiltatelier I was not quite sure to drive over the entrance across the stream, not knowing whether I had reached the right place. It seemed so private and not like a shop. There is a nice name medallion and a sign at the gate, so you know you are there.
I discovered the Quiltatelier by accident as I was checking out river trips on the MS de Tijd, a party boat on the river Vecht. Hanneke appeared to have organized quilt boat trips on it.
The front is nicely tucked away in a lot of greenery. At that time getting
out was a challenge just the same, the visiting ladies not so sociable in their
parking manner. Guess I am a nervous parker these days, as my car has been
bashed up recently nastily a few times. The insurance is not going to like me
for more claims, so I parked well away on the main road. The walk gave me a nice view over the polder scenery, which is nearby the Lakes of Loosdrecht.
![]() |
| Beautiful red climbing rose, rain drops still on it. |
The garden is intimate and so well kept, with niches everywhere to sit. A
tea house, a verandah, a shed with a porch, a pond with beautiful water plants
all around and gold fish in it. Click on the picture to see at least two of them - they are in the bottom shiny part of the picture.
The area just asks for a frog (or water) quilt to make and to be put up somewhere. I remember the pattern from years ago in a Quilters Newsletter Magazine. The fresh and bright colours of it highly appealed to me then. Hanneke's version of this quilt is gorgeous. Because of the dark sky, today's picture taken in the tea house does not do justice to it. Perfumed goodies were for sale at the front of the quilt.
The garden is a place to wonder around, with curving paths, to relax and to dream - of quilts of course! They were everywhere. Every quilt
with its own story and made out of different materials, flannel, wool, cotton, linnens.
The intimate Log Cabin shop was
crowded with ladies (with an occasional man sitting on a patched chair) who got the quilt bug and quilt fever just like me, the moment we stepped
through the door. We were warmly welcomed with coffee and cookies, offered by ladies who
made sure we did not miss out on it, being absorbed by everything around us. There is so much to see (and to buy)
at every square inch in the shop, that you have to go round three times to see it all. At least, I had to, to take it all in and enjoy it. Hanneke's mother contributes with beautiful embroidery put up on the walls in between the many quilts. Last year it inspired me to take up my embroidery again.
![]() |
| Embroidery, and a mini quilt which is the background of Hanneke's blog - such a surprise to discover. |
Bumping into a next village
neighbour was fun. On exchanging what is our today's passion (quilters have many passions I have noticed) we made a date for a joint quilting bee on Monday morning every three weeks.
Great idea, as this will mean a continuation of my projects. Ria and I share our great interest in embroidered antique samplers, now we will start patching and quilting together.
![]() |
| Very personal sampler quilt by Hanneke with embroidered parts in it. Beautiful colours. |
Recently a large box full of woollen and tweed samples arrived as a surprise at the door step. My husband sighed …..
my hobby room is already stocked up with materials to last for two hundred
years. Sitting out in the garden the samples were taken out,
rearranged by style and colour and valued on what to do with it. I must admit I did say to myself: why have I accepted this ..... What had fallen on the terrace was pinched
by Floris, our dog, at a moment my mind was doing overtime and concentrating on the
colourful Scottish tweeds. It was only a few days later on shovelling underneath the beech hedge and mowing the lawn, that I
discovered he had hidden a whole bunch of woollen squares. I always startle when something strange appears, because you see something unsual coming out from the ground. His greatest fun is for instance to bury the garden gloves that I use to pull out the nettles.They are - muddy as they are - quite a sight coming up. He joined me at my garden job and looked at me: ‘What
are you doing with my stuff, I hid it so nicely’. You cheeky something! Never
mind, he is not a quilter and had no eye for the most precious pieces; he chose
plain and uninteresting material. When I do notice him doing this, it is always so
wonderful and endearing to see. His walk is so proud and special, sneaky also. Often it ends up in a nice game: catch me if you can!
There was so
much to see in the shop, that I almost forgot what I had come for, apart from experiencing the Open House. As I had my
coffee from these lovely rose cups with a butter cookie there it was on the wall on the side: the cat
quilt. It is a perfect pattern for the tweed samples. Made in a bigger size no doubt it will become a nice cottage like quilt to snuggle up with when it gets cold in the winter.
![]() |
| Hanneke, concentrating on giving change to a lady quilter. |
On my way back to the car these apples caught my eye. It was a cheery, colourful and inspiring morning on a rainy day in Tienhoven, my mind spinning round on new projects.
















Thank you for your wonderful story about our Open Day in Tienhoven. I always enjoy to meet so many quilters and I regret I do not have as much time to speak to every quilter as I would like. We always try to make a visit to our store a special moment, with inspiration and a good talk. We ourselves en joy the garden also very much in every season and when the wheather is good, quilters can quilt outside in the garden during the bees. You are more then welcome! xx love Hanneke
ReplyDelete