Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Award Free Blog and a bit of Dutch courage

By it seems Dutch sailors drank a lot of Dutch gin to fight the English in the thirty years of war against them in the 1600's. The misleading fact is that it did not keep them as warm as they thought it would do, but it did overcome their fear to face the enemy. What is even worse is that they were given a bottle of gin as part of their wages. Ever since Dutch courage remained an expression, or a remedy, against difficult moments.

Now! I need a bit of Dutch courage ...

On 31 January, Rita, with her wonderful blog Shabby Chic Roses, http://ritashabbychicrose.blogspot.com, awarded me with the Stylish Blogger Award. Busy as I am I did not notice this wonderful surprise until almost a week later.



On 20 February Jesse, with his three incredible art blogs, http://theartofjesse.blogspot.com surprised me just as much with the same award.

Thank you so much Rita and Jesse! I am immensely honoured. I love reading both your blogs and enjoy your creativity, each in your own very special way.

When you receive an award you have to do something with it. Here comes the problem. I have to sit up straigth and take a deep breath to confess that this is a big hang up for me. The conditions stated, naming things about myself and nominating other blogs, is not the problem. It is easy to state things about myself and it is easy to make a huge list of wonderful blogs which deserve the award just as much, but I resent doing this so much because I think I impose on other people. For the past weeks I have not been able to post anything that I had in mind because of this. So - and here I need the courage to write it down - I have decided to make this an Award Free Blog.

I read many many blogs and thoroughly enjoy all the blogs I follow. Sometimes it seems one big family in Blogland, not only sharing creativity, but also ups and downs. Juliana has been ill for a long time, Natasha experienced the biblical floods in Queensland, Marja is still feeling the after shakes of the earthquake in Christchurch. You follow the news and think: how will Marja be, how will Natasha's family get out of the aftermath, how will Juliana recover?
At other times I sit behind my computer and am absolutely flabbergasted about everyone's creativity.

I need freedom, I need to be free as a bird in the tree tops of Les Trois Jardins.


Maybe I should pour myself a glass of Dutch gin now and press the button 'publish'.
It is cold out here, it is snowing again, whereas the snow drops and the crocusses were promising something else. Hopefully there are no ennemies out there.

Wishing you all a wonderful day and wonderful times in Blogland. I shall look forward to your comments because they are great fun, and I shall comment on your blogs with the same enthousiasm.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dear, Oh I want to thank you for your very nice comment on my table project. And you're right, I love natural wood too. I am painting mine white and distressing it to match my other pieces. I happen to have lots and lots of wood in my home, natural. My fire place mantle, all my trim, and my french doors. So I want my furniture to be a pretty fresh white, to lighten up everything. But I agree, and I love having different views, it's so nice. Your blog is lovely, and again, thanks so much, xoxo tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacoba ik snap de druk die een award krijgen geeft
    Blijf gewoon jezelf en genieten van blogland zo als je het noemt!
    En dan kunnen wij daar ook weer van genieten Had bijna ook een borrel nodig om je te schrijven:) Maar ik had je echt gemist en ben blij dat je weer wat hebt geschreven liefs Jacky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goed van je..ik heb t zelfde gedaan en ben daar blij mee...

    Gisteren liep ik nog te bibberen van de kou...en vanochtend doe ik t raam open en zowaar...de ergste kou is verdwenen...Heel goed voor mijn humeur:)))
    Fijn weekend in je tuin dearest..
    Hug
    T.D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lieve Jacoba je hebt gelijk dat je een award vrij blog wilt.
    Reacties zijn veel en veel leuker om te krijgen.
    Een grijs dagje vandaag dus ik denk dat ik me ook maar wat moed in ga drinken ;)
    Proost
    Hermine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inderdaad: de verplichtingen die het krijgen van zo'n award meebrengen zijn niet altijd prettig. Gewoon doen wat je zelf het fijnst vindt, hoor.
    Jammer van het weer: ook hier vanochtend een witte laag in de tuin. En ik wil zo héél graag een beetje lente!
    Groetjes,
    Janny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jacoba - This is the wonderful things about blogs. You can make it what you want it to be! It should always be fun and not a burden, don't you agree? I hope so!

    As always, I enjoy my visits here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lieve Jacoba
    Je weet dat ik jouw blog geweldig vind, met of zonder award.
    Schoot die lente nou toch maar eens op.
    We kunnen allemaal wel wat zon gebruiken.
    Fijn en zonnig weekend.
    Liefs
    Mapi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do agree with you wholeheartedly! I am always very honored to receive an award, but too feel like I am imposing to pass it on to others. I have not yet stated I am a award or tag free blog, so I applaud your honesty.
    Hugs,
    Terri
    Thank you so much for your well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi dear thank you for thinking about me. I am ok I am a tough cookie. After a very busy week I have time browse along the blogs again and that is a nice treat. I don't like gin but will get some dutch courage with a nice glas of wine. Take care marja

    ReplyDelete

Gezellig dat je er bent, dank je voor je bericht.
Thank you for your visit, nice that you stopped by in the gardens.